Dr. Gayle Fletcher and our team are committed to helping you enjoy long-lasting dental health. We offer these five dental health tips to improve your dental health and decrease your risk of tooth decay:
1. Eat healthy food. A healthy diet decreases your risk of tooth decay and boosts the health of your smile. To eat a balanced diet, you must select foods from all food groups, filling your plate with vegetables, fruits, protein, starches, and dairy.
2. Reduce your intake of sugary food and drink. It’s best to reserve sugary food and drink for mealtimes when other foods can create a buffer and limit the damage caused by sugar. We encourage you not to substitute natural fruits and vegetables with fruit juice because sugary drinks tend to be high in sugar.
3. Don’t smoke. Smoking causes many adverse dental effects, including staining tooth enamel, bad breath, and a higher risk of gum disease. In fact, patients who smoke 20 or more cigarettes every day increase their risk of mouth cancer by 6 times in comparison to patients who don’t smoke at all.
4. Restrict alcohol. Heavy amounts of alcohol wear down tooth enamel, which can lead to decay, and you may end up needing a dental filling from the dentist.
5. Keep your smile white. Cigarettes, coffee, wine, and tea can all darken and stain your teeth, which is why it’s important to consume these only in moderation. Dr. Gayle Fletcher can help you achieve and maintain a white smile with customized teeth whitening treatment.
Please feel free to contact Patient-First Dental Care at 936-856-9969 today if you have questions about your dental health and are interested in taking steps to improve your smile in Conroe, Texas, with the help of our dentist.