TMD, or Temporomandibular Disorder, refers to a group of disorders affecting the joint which joins the jaw to the skull (temporomandibular joint or TMJ). This disorder results in discomfort, such as pain, difficulty with the jaw, earaches, migraines, and neck pain. You may be surprised to learn about some of the seemingly unrelated symptoms of TMD.
Symptoms of TMD may include:
- Prevalent pain or soreness in the jaw, especially at certain times of the day
- A popping or clicking sound when the mouth is opened or closed
- Trouble opening and closing the mouth or chewing
- A misaligned bite
- An earache not caused by infection
- A toothache not caused by infection or other dental health issues
- Jaw pain when chewing, biting, yawning, or speaking
- A locked or stiff jaw when chewing, biting, yawing, or speaking
- Recurring tension headaches or migraines, especially if present upon waking
- Recent changes to your bite
There are many ways to treat TMD just as there are many causes and symptoms. At Patient-First Dental Care, Dr. Gayle Fletcher offers you many options for TMD treatment. Please see Bioesthetic Dentistry to learn more about our approach in the treatment of TMD. If you are interested in learning more about TMD in Conroe, Texas, and what we can do for you, please give us a call at 936-856-9969. We are happy to care for all your dental needs.